[3830] SS SSB N5DO Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 17 09:59:57 EST 2003

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): K5FD, KE5OG, N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: WTX

Interesting to compare our band totals with the totals of others -- 15M was an
important band for us, but for other stations it was almost non-existent.  Of
course, 10M was almost gone this year -- last year we made 447 QSOs on 10M, and
this year only 1.

Bill, KE5OG, got us off to a great start in the first four hours with over 500
contacts, but it got slower after that.  40M in particular seemed to be not as
good on Saturday night as it was last year.  We were pleased to be able to work
VY1MB on 20M on Sunday afternoon with a minimum of calling.

While I generally subscribe to the idea that it is faster to work duplicates and
not get into lengthy discussion about whether or not we truly were a dupe, this
year we changed our approach.  Last year we worked dupes without question and
ended up with around 80 dupes (which would be a good hour during most of the
contest).  Due to the length of time to send/receive an SS QSO, this year we
decided not to routinely work dupes, but to point out to the station that we
showed them to be a dupe.  If they said that we were not in their log, we gladly
worked the station a second time.  In doing so, we cut the number of duplicates
by more than 50%.

Thanks for the fun.