[3830] CQWW CW W5VX M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 30 18:01:57 EST 2003

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W5VX
Operator(s): W5VX AND K5TSQ
Station: W5VX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Edinburg, Texas

  160:   15     7       12
   80:   63    19       51
   40:  474    33      113
   20:  369    36      111
   15:  365    35      115
   10:  413   162      103

I have been looking forward to this contest for sometime. Watching the forcasts
and listening to the band made me a little apprehensive about the probability of
bad conditions. As the contest began, it appeared that we were not going to have
much propagation. Fortunately, the contest was full of surprises. The first
night, the old standard (40 meters) held its own, but no JAs on ten and not much
on 15. Twenty died early and the noise was bad on 80 and 160, as usual.

The first day was about what I expected, with only 45 countries by the end of
the first 24 hours on ten. As the second night began, things began to improve.
We actually began to hear europeans right after sunset on 80 and were able to
exceed last years country/zone totals on 80. 40 was not quite so good but 20
stayed open all night. (What a pleasant surprise.) Right on que, ten and fifteen
opened Sunday morning and we worked lots of good stuff.

The propagation gurus had said that the first day would be ok and the second
would slide down from there. It was the opposite from south Texas.

We improved the score from last year by a third.  I am particularly proud of the
score since we had only two operators, one radio, a Force 12 C-3E tribander, a
shorty 40 and wires.