[3830] NA Sprint CW NO5W LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 7 11:53:30 EDT 2003

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: NO5W
Operator(s): NO5W
Station: NO5W

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX

---------------------

Club: NARS - NW Houston ARS

Team: Not Bad for a 5 #1

Comments:

Just when you begin to have the feeling that you are getting the hang of this
contesting game along comes the sprint to provide a good dose of reality.  I've
still got a long way to go! But what a fun trip to even get in the sprint game
with a lot of really good CW ops (did someone say CW was dying?), good activity,
and from STX some good conditions last night. And when I turned off the YL's
Ionic Breeze Machine boy did the bands get quiet! "Its a sprint honey and only
four hours long!"

I took a cue from W4AN's posting and started out on 40 which seemed to be a good
move since, with 50 watts and a low dipole, I tend to get beat up pretty badly
in the initial 20 meter bedlam and if I start on 20 and then move with everyone
else to 40 I'm Texas Roadkill again on that band. So that paid off and I was
able to post my best score ever but still shy of my goal of 200. I haven't done
a detailed analysis but it seems like my biggest problem is that the ratio of
follow-on QSOs to S&P QSOs was subpar -- will have to work on that. Look for me
again in the next one and all of the CW events in between. I hope to work some
of you in the upcoming Texas QSO Party September 27-28 when you can chase some
Dillos across most of the 254 LoneStar counties.  Check out the website at
www.w5nc.org for details. Thanks to everyone for the Q's.

73, Chuck, NO5W