[3830] ARRL 10 VE7NH SO CW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 13 11:28:33 EST 2004

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE7NH
Operator(s): VE7NH
Station: VE7NH

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: PENDER ISLD

   CW:  153    38
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  153    38  Total Score = 23,256

I thought this Contest would give me a good chance against some of the
Big Guns up here.  How wrong was I!!  Took me 46 calls to finally land
ZL1V at the start of the Contest.  This did not get any better.
My local noise was "joined" by some other noise which almost made me
switch off and go play Golf.  The Beam could only find ONE spot out
of 360 degrees where the noise was ONLY S3. This spot was very bad for
working the States. Strange condx altogether.  N/S seemed good by the
way the S.A. stations were booming in and the numbers they were giving
out.  But E/W was poor, maybe that was due to my beam having to be
sideways to that area to keep noise down a wee bit.  Puzzles me how
I QSO'd some of those DX stations with the beam pointed the wrong way.
They must have had good ears.  However, in my almost 7 hours on/off
I managed to struggle through and work 19 different countries. Guess my
only solution is to Win the Lottery and find a QTH which is no place
near Power Lines or a 100 foot cliff, and not surrounded by big trees.
My Power Line Noise saga has its own story to tell.

The noises are bad,
I feel so sad.
I prayed for rain,
But that was in vain.