[3830] NAQP SSB NX5M M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jan 17 23:19:44 EST 2004

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, N5XJ, NT5TU
Station: NX5M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TEXAS

Total: 2142   282  Total Score = 604,044

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

It was a mad rush just to get things set up.  Weather was a threat so nothing
was done until 1615z.  Setup completed at 1740z.  NT5TU walked in the door at
17:59:30 and N5XJ arrived about 2 minutes later so we did not have a chance to
go over any strategies or hardware configurations.
As much as I do not care to look at the negative things that happened during the
contest I had to curse the weather.  Although this is nothing compared to what
they guys up in New England had to deal with the past several days it was bad
enough to disrupt playing radio.... I hate Texas weather.  Thunderstorms!!!
Although several cells were very close we continued to operate but this made the
low bands almost worthless.  If it were not for them falling apart for the last
hour of the contest we would not have had much in the way of numbers on 80 and
160.  While I was on 80 the crashes were 20 to 30 over S9 even on the beverages
and 160 was even worse.  For those who we kept asking for
repeats.....sorry......we do appreciate your patience.
We made a mistake by going to 40 too late.  Could not find a run frequency and
when we did it was not a very good one.  Only 262 qsos so we really shot
ourselves in the foot on this one.
10 meter numbers were lower than we expected as well.  Just did not seem to have
good rate there so we bounced around between 10 and 20 in the 2nd and 3rd hour.
15 was pretty good to the tune of 200+ in the first hour.
All in all only 103 qsos shy of what we did last January but 4 mults better.
Score down by 20k. Who cares?  I don't!
Other than a couple of hours of frustration the rest was fun.
Some nice scores out there too.
Remember when 300k was a big multi-two score?  It is indeed a whole new ballgame
these days.
Thanks to all those who qsy'ed for us.

Bob NX5M, Mike N5XJ, Dennis NT5TU