[3830] ARRLDX SSB N0FW SOAB(A) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 7 19:56:29 EST 2004

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N0FW
Operator(s): N0FW
Station: N0FW

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: OHIO

   20:  102   101
   15:  106   106
Total:  453   452  Total Score = 614,268

Club: Southwest Ohio DX Assn

Comments:

This contest seems to be an indicator of things to come.  Propagation on the low
bands was excellant.  However, there was hardly any reason to operate on 10m.  I
heard only a handful of EU on both Saturday and Sunday.  CA was almost
non-existent on both days.  The CA that was there to be heard were weak.

Also, the multi-op sponsors really need to teach their ops to listen.  There
were instances where callers called endlessly.  For awhile, I thought I was
listening to EU ops calling a rare DX location.  This was very true on both the
low bands and on the packet-generated piles near the end of the test.  Talking
with others at the end of the test gave a large majority concurrence to this
point.

Thus, I think it would be appropriate to eliminate the use of packet during a
contest.  This would have two benefits. First, this would be a true test of
operator ability and not just a pure measure of station location and brute
force.  Second, the casual operators who work the DX stations to give them
points whil they are in the shack for a few hours on the weekend will not be
chased away.  I observed on many occasions that operators calling the DX would
just leave after listening to the endless calling for a few minutes.  The
multi-ops, trying to get a score increase would just keep calling.  Q's were
going on while the pile kept calling.  This is bad.  DX stations would just quit
out of utter disgust.  Casual ops would just quit trying to work the DX.  If you
lose the casual ops, the reason for the folks traveling to be DX will be
discouraged because of the score drop due to lower activity, thus limiting the
overall contest activity.

Action must be taken soon.