[3830] WPX SSB K7RL SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 28 17:04:51 EST 2004

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Camano Island, WA

   20: 1128

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

What a wild ride.  With unusually high noise on the low bands, and spotty
propagation on the high bands,  I felt like the proverbial ping-pong ball all
weekend.  This contest somewhat reminded me of 2003 CQ WW SSB, in that you never
knew what the bands would do from one minute to the next.

Overall, I had 127 less q's this year versus last year, but managed to work 94
additional mults.  Some nice EU and JA runs on 40m helped offset declines in the
high bands, which ultimately boosted the score.

10m was in fair shape to stateside and South America Saturday, but almost
completely dead Sunday.  15m produced good JA openings Friday and Sunday, but
practically nothing on Saturday.  Europe was scarce on 15m all weekend, but 20m
and 40m took up the slack.

Thanks to all the operators that made this a fun weekend.