[3830] CQWW SSB J49Z M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 8 11:55:41 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: J49Z
Operator(s): IK8HCG, IK8UND, I2WIJ
Station: J49Z

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Crete Island

  160:  119     9       51
   80:  626    17       74
   40: 1288    29      107
   20:  892    40      127
   15: 1234    37      145
   10: 1896    37      143

Club: MCC - Marconi Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, what a funny contest!
Great conditions on 10M, way beyond expectations, lead us to
our best ever score, since J49Z started on 2001.
Unfortunately we didn't break the 10ML points barrier yet,
which still remains our main, unreached, target,
second to just having fun, which has already been reached
many, many times, instead!

An almost completely new setup this year, with two new 5el tribanders
and 2 full-size 80M verticals.
The 40M four-square vertical did the usual, outstanding, performance.

The main beam has been raised upon a 10M self-propelled boom, which
should have been 15M high in the early planning, but we were not able to
get that one, due to local transportation problems, so we got "only"
the 10M-high one, which served well but with minor overall performances.

The beam, on top of that gear, outperformed the other one, on the house roof,
by 2 S-unit on 15M (as reported by the VP5X team during a field-check,
just after installation.)
This year, due to the new beam installation,
we experienced a better long skip on 10M and the USA pileup gave
us a better qso/points rate, compared to the previous years,
even if it is not enough yet.
The 20M band still needs the major improvements:
we weren't able to break a lot of pileups on the second day,
to get those mults we could easily hear.

Our EU southern-most location gives us always propagation into Europe,
which is our happiness and sadness at the same time!
This is our main obstacle to get that 2.0 qso/points rate figure
that would mean, for us, the chance to be at the top. On the contrary,
it is our best propeller to "rates", and this year top-speed runner
was Lou, IK8HCG, with a superb 274 qso/hr on 15m saturday morning.

The 80M solution surely paid off (we never worked JA while running before!)
but we are not yet satisfied and, frankly speaking, we still have
some doubts on the overall effectiveness of our installation.

We still had some problems with the CT-WIN 10.01.010, when the callout
window didn't recognised mults anymore, for the whole second day,
while we were clearly seeing them coming through, in the ALT-O window!
Anyone who "still" used CT has had such problems?
We stayed with CT since we thought it was reliable enough, but,
may be is it time to switch to a newer logging platform?

We had our firts-time WAZ on 20M, and a big thank goes to 3B8MM and
XE2K for hearing us in their pile-up, for the last 39 and 06 zones,
within minutes between each other! A nice cherry upon the cake!

Congrats to OE2S and OM7M teams for breaking the "magic" 10ML points!

The Europe Top 6 is still within easy reach, let's wait for the log-checking!

73 and thanks to all for your qsos.

Bob, I2WIJ (on behalf of the J49Z team)

P.S.
1/3 MCC score is due to I2WIJ.
Take a look at the early pictures and videos at our web site
http://www.qsl.net/i2wij/j49z/j49z04.html