[3830] SS CW K4XU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 8 12:37:45 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: K4XU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OR

Club: Central Oregon DX Club

Comments:

Best result in many years despite the conditions.
10m was spotty from the west coast but well worth the effort. My SO2R skills are
starting to get to the automatic stage - knowing what to do when things do NOT
go as planned. My appologies to any who were left without an operaton on the end
of a CQ.
The second radio is an Omni 6+ to a 40m vertical with home brew helical
resonator filters for 40 and 15m, those are my S&P bands. I did some alternating
CQs on Sunday afternoon that was very productive. SO2R allowed me to find the
elusive KH6 mult for a sweep though I had to swap radios and antennas to work
him through the pileup. Subsequently worked two more later, KH7X at 40wpm on 20m
as it was going dead.
The last four hours of the contest were dreadful. Not only were the bands very
short - they seemed very long on Saturday - but everyone was T6. Turning the
beam southeast helped but it was a losing battle. There was a point where I
considered quitting with three hours to go but the fact remains that bad
conditions are equally bad for everyone. Those were 60 hard-earned QSOs!
See you on SSB.