[3830] PaQP W3DAN Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Oct 15 23:03:11 EDT 2004

                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: W3DAN
Operator(s): K8MR, W8DRZ
Station: W3DAN

Class: Rover LP
QTH: 3 counties

  160:    0      0
   80:    0      0
   40:   44    249
   20:    9      0
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
    6:    0      0
    2:    0      0
--------------------
Total:   53    259  Mults = 90  Total Score = 30,750.0

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

By County:
      CW    SSB
ARM   31    110
INN   13    101
BED   0     48

Several years of mobile operation in many qso parties has shown that mobile SSB
is not much fun.  But I have found that with a very simple wire antenna SSB can
be a blast.  So in addition to the K8MR/3 mobile operation, we stopped in three
counties to set up with an inverted vee on a DK9SQ fiberglass mast at about 25
feet. To keep the entries separate, for the rover operation we borrowed the
callsign of the Shenango Wireless Society, courtesy of K3LR.

We operated from Armstrong, Indiana, and Bedford counties. We found random high
spots off 422 in ARM and INN, and operated from the parking lot of the Blue Knob
ski area in BED.  We did about an hour each from the first two, and only 20
minutes from BED as it was getting dark and we did not want to have to pack up
in the dark.  We might have done better had we stopped at a pull off area at
2750 feet on Rt 56 a few hundred feet east of the SOM line, since we could have
operated earlier and had more time before sunset.

The acts of kindness award goes to WA3HAE who gave us his good 40M ssb frequency
in ARM, allowing us another 30 or 40 qsos before we packed it in.

We did not work any of these 3 counties from either of our operations.

Rover operation has much to be said for it. At the start of the contest, while
mobile, we had a rather clear 40M SSB frequency, but made only 3 qsos in the
first 4 or 5 minutes.  As a rover, we had the NA 10 qso timer well above
250/hour. That is cool.

73  -  Jim   K8MR