[3830] WAE CW ZL4BR Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Aug 16 01:42:17 EDT 2005

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: ZL4BR
Operator(s): ZL4BR
Station: ZL4BR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: New Plymouth

   80:    7          16
   40:  286   290   102
   20:  178   170    66
-------------------------
Total:  471   460   184  Total Score = 171,304

Running a kite flying demo show for Scouts caused me to miss the first five
hours, but I really don't thing I missed all that much. Openings between ZL and
Europe in our winter are generally not as good as in summer, and as expected
with the SFI at 75 they were going to as poor as they can possibly get. Kept
checking 15m but only heard a very weak VP2E and the JA beacon. There was a long
path 20m opening to East Coast North America/South America around 2100utc on the
second day which wasn't any use at all!  The sunrise 80m opening on Sunday was
useful, pity it didn't happen again on Monday morning. So once again 40m was
'the' band for me, even though the new Chinese woodpecker OTHR was S9+ for some
of the time.

Unfortunately the band that according to W6EL Prop has the best propagation with
the longest openings to Europe at least for us Eu antipodeans during the winter
and at this stage of the cycle is not available for contests....30m

Looking forward to the SARTG RTTY next weekend, keep checking 40m please:-)

73, Frank ZL4BR