[3830] CQWW CW 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Dec 3 17:41:11 EST 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 8P5A
Operator(s): W2SC
Station: 8P5A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Barbados

  160:  453    16       58
   80:  950    23       87
   40: 1144    29      102
   20: 1581    30       99
   15: 1981    29      103
   10:  527    17       37

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Family medical problems cancelled our Thanksgiving plans so I had to go to
Barbados by myself.  I left as many things set up as possible after the SSB
weekend, but I cannot leave it that way all year.  Were it not for the need to
take down antennas, I would not have even made the trip.

Got on the bands for the first time Thursday night to find the best low band
conditions I ever heard.  Not as good during the contest but outstanding
nonetheless.

The low bands were simply remarkable and I could have been perfectly content to
stay just on 80 and 160 and forget the others.  I greatly enjoyed using my low
budget, W8JI style, receive 4 square on both low bands, and it continued to work
exceptionally well.

The high bands were mediocre with very thin openings on 15, but I did catch a
brief (5 minute) EU run on 10 on Saturday.

Expectations for the weekend were very low for this point in the sunspot cycle
so I really was just looking forward with playing with my lowband receiving
array.  However, I turned in a personal best score in this event.  Sunspots are
over-rated.

The station worked flawlessly again.

Thanks to everybody for the excellent operating and the Q’s  Also to the CQWW
committee for this fine event.

Some miscellaneous pictures and breakdown sheet at my website:
http://tgeorgens.home.mindspring.com

QSL via NN1N

73, Tom W2SC 8P5A