[3830] CQWW CW OK1QM SOSB/80 LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Dec 3 19:21:45 EST 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OK1QM
Operator(s): OK1QM
Station: OK1QM

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH: Marsovice

   80:  842    16       74

First I want to express my big thank to my friend Milan, OK1NI, who provided me
a background on his land and also helped me to raise a vertical antenna.
I had a year break in contesting and I am really happy that I could join this
great event again. As I have now only two hands and one radio single band was
the only option I had. 80 m drawn me on a long time so now was the best occasion
to try it. I installed a dipole on 14 m high tower a few weeks before the
contest and also borrowed 19 m high mast that should serve as a base of my
vertical. Thereby I finished my preparing on the contest because of some other
duties. I started again on Wednesday morning before the contest – and finished
half an hour before the contest very tired and unprepared. Shortly checked
setting new contest log N1MM and let´s go. I also used a new radio FT1000 MV
Field for the first time in a contest. So I had quite enough things to learn how
to use them correctly. However both software and the Field are very user
friendly so there was almost no problem. First night I was recalling how I did
it in the past and finished with 350 Qs. I was terribly tired but I had to go
home to make there a very special thing that forbid me to sleep so I returned
back on the site in the afternoon even more tired than I left it. I repared some
lacks like functionless rx antenna K9AY and also spread 60 radials (in a deep
snow cover) that we were cutting with OK1NI the night before the contest. I
logged first Qso at 4 PM on Saturday afternoon and waited when a crisis will
come. At 11 PM started hallucinations. I saw walls flowing around me. However to
bed got me my absolute inabillity to tune my radio right on freq of 3B8/OM3PC.
Nobody called them I was probably the first who found them. Several calls no
answer then I noticed that my RIT is a few hundreds Hz away from their freq.
This broke me down. I set my alarm clock on 00.30 AM. And woke up at 5 o´clock!
Next two hours were great but the night was lost. Sunday evening was wonderful
and I finally had a feeling that I know what I am doing. Awards were three
contacts to JA and some nice runs. Unfortunately my 100 W were not enough to log
ZM1A, ZL6QH, VK2GC, VR?KW and some other DXs with strong sigs. No problem at all
I am happy I could participate. Thanks very much to you all for nice contest.
Hope to see you next time and let me wish you Happy Xmas and GL in the New
Year.

73, Jan OK1QM