[3830] CQ160 CW VE3FU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 1 22:49:19 EST 2005

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE3FU
Operator(s): VE3FU
Station: VE3FU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 544  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 13  Total Score = 188,064

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

TS-950SD
Inverted-L (63ft vertical)
3 x 600' Beverages, NE, SW, SE
1 x 300' Beverage NW

Vlad VE3JM offered to loan me his amp so I could go HP this year, but I chose to
go LP, aiming for the VE LP record: VE3ABG 452q x 54s/p x 36c = 251,910 in 1995.
 The last time I made a serious run at the record was in 2001: 566q x 56s/p x
20c = 209,970.  Obviously I fell short again this year.

In 2001 I used a balloon supported vertical.  I had problems with it blowing
into all the trees in the back yard so I decided to put up an inverted-L this
time.  The inverted-L doesn't seem to get out as well as I can hear with the
Beverages.  I counted 23 countries and 53 DX stations that I heard but couldn't
work.  But it wasn't for lack of trying.  It's pretty easy to go through my log
and see the gaps in time between QSO's where I was S&Ping the band calling them
all.  Most of the time they kept on CQing, even though no one else was calling,
from what I could hear.  Occasionally I'd get a "?" or "VE3?" or "FU?" and then
they'd give up.  Rarely did I get through on the first call.  The exceptions
being:  D4B, F5OIU, VP5/K9NW, PJ2T, KH7X, and KP2ZZ.

After the first night I had: 332q x 54s/p x 10c = 102,912.  I was only missing
ND, RI, LA, and MT in the mainland US (I've never heard KL7 on 160m).  I had
worked all provinces except NS.  I never heard or expected to hear any of the
Northern mults.

In hindsight, I probably should have went HP.  But if I did, I probably would
have thought I could have worked most of the DX with LP and broke the VE LP
record :=)

Countries heard but couldn't work: G, DL, S5, T9, I, 9A, OK, GJ, HA, YU, UA2,
GD, YV, HB9, PA, HK, SP, LY, LX, YO, OH, VK, ZL.

Countries worked: CT, F, OM, ON, YL, CT3, D4, CM, KP2, VP2E, VP5, KH6, PJ2

Congratulations to VE3OSZ for a great score and to VE3CSK for breaking the VE LP
record.