[3830] ARRL FD W9CA 2A LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 12 07:02:54 EDT 2005

                    ARRL Field Day

Call: W9CA
Operator(s): KK9DX, K9QVB, KS9W, N9CO, KB9I, N9UM, N9AVY, N9GY, W9KOZ, KB9VMU, MANY OTHERS THAT I FORGOT!
Station: W9CA

Class: 2A LP
QTH: Illinois

  160:     0      0     0
   80:   253    150     0
   40:   967    688     0
   20:   625    192     0
   15:     7      0     0
   10:     0      0     0
    6:     8     88     0
    2:     7     87     0
  222:     0      0     0
  432:     4     22     0
  903:     0      0     0
  1.2:     0      3     0
  2.3:     0      0     0
  3.4:     0      0     0
  5.7:     0      0     0
  10G:     0      0     0
  24G:     0      0     0
----------------------------
Total:  1871   1230     0  Total Score = 13,054

Club: CorTek Radio Association

Comments:

The score, but not the QSO listing, includes 400 CW QSO's made by the GOTA
station, N9BR, and the estimated 1500 bonus points.

HF Station 1, 40m:  FT-1000D, 2el yagi (XM-240) @ 50'.
HF Station 2, 20m & 80m:  FT-1000MP, 4el yagi (26' boom) @ 50', tilted loop.
VHF: TS-2000, 4el 6m yagi @ 100', 6el 2m yagi @ 105', 10el 432 yagi @ 110'.

The HF yagis were supported by military surplus AB-631 telescoping "rocket
launcher" masts.  The VHF yagis were supported by a City of Wauconda Fire
Department ladder truck (way too cool!).

This operation was truly a team effort.  There were many amateurs present that I
don't recall callsigns for that helped out with setup, takedown, and other
logistics.

KS9W and K9QVB got us off to our best start ever, putting 165 cw QSO's in the
log, with Bob, KS9W taking "Best CW Hour" honors on 40cw with 104 that hour.
KB9I, claimed "Best SSB Hour" on 40ssb with a 143 clocking a couple of hours
later.  Nice job, fellas!

The impending thunderstorms that came close to the area didn't shut us down,
fortunately, but it did make things very rough on 80m during the night.  I was
told by one of the Midnight Shift operators that the atmospheric noise was S9,
either on the loop or the receive wire, and he felt that there were stations
calling just under the QRN that we couldn't copy.

It was a great Field Day, and I'm sure that I speak for all of the team in
saying that we had a FANTASTIC time!

73,
Charlie  N9CO