[3830] ARRLDX SSB W9RE SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 7 12:04:30 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W9RE
Operator(s): W9RE
Station: W9RE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: IN

   20: 1074   112
   15:  894   107
Total: 2406   406  Total Score = 2,880,570

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I didn’t make a decision to operate full time until Thursday before the contest
because of several factors.  One was the fact that I had been to PJ4R for CW and
was just catching up on work/home issues.  Another was the fact that my xyl was
under the weather and I would have something else to feel guilty about as if
spending 48 hours at a radio isn’t enough.  Also with conditions as they were I
knew at night it would be 40/80/160 and I am deaf on 160 because of a powerline
problem that I cannot seem to get fixed (134 KV line and have gone to FCC).
Luckily my trip to Bonaire for CW was on hold for a week due to power issues on
the island and so I used a warm weekend to prepare my station for operating CW
at home (fixed 80 meter rotator indicator), etc.  This was good because after
the trip I didn’t have much time to prepare.  I had a hectic business week with
several projects due and the stress those create, luckily the fellow that I work
with was going to be out of town on Monday so I could catch up on my sleep
without him bugging me.

Went to the store on Friday so didn’t get much of a nap in the afternoon.  With
conditions as they were I never even attempted to call CQ on Friday night
figuring it would be a waste of time.  Started on 15 and 20 s and p’ing.  Only
had 229 q’s at 0600z and only 350 q’s at 1100z.  Got off to reasonable start on
20 Saturday morning and then quickly to 15 (biggest hour of 136 @ 1400z), I went
back to 20 at 1700z and in hind sight that was a mistake because 20 wasn’t that
good and with no Europe on 15 on Sunday I just should have stayed put.  Was back
on 15 running Europe at 1830z (first 10 meter q at 1813z).  Started running JA’s
on 15 at 2235Z and had a nice run of 160 JA’s plus a few other Asians until
0131z.  Had 1570 q’s at the halfway point and from 0300z to 1100z I took the
first of about 3 sleep breaks for about 4 hours total.  At 0714z I heard AA1K
working an FK8 on 20 and quickly worked him also, only that and a 4S7 stand out
as rare mults worked.

On Sunday at 1244z I started on 14239.9 and was there until 2107z solid with 15
and 10 meter q’s interleaved, at first I only was working VK’s but then the band
opened to Europe.  Not hearing any Europe on 15 told me I needed defend that
frequency and I did have about 3 instanaces.  One fellow told me there was a net
that was starting up and I needed to move (obviously I had been there for some
time so I didn’t move) another time some type of digital signal qrm’ed me for
about 15 minutes but again I stuck it out.  One funny thing that happened during
this period was during a high qrm time, an M5??? called me and I was having
lot’s of trouble getting his call, in the middle of the q, I got up went to the
bathroom, came back and asked again for his call, he was still there and I
completed the q!!

No Europe on 10 from here only CN2R worked other then VP9/W6PH and CA/SA.  I
heard after the contest some skew path Europe was worked but when you are SO2R
and trying to keep a 20 meter frequency from the Midwest, you forget to do some
things because you are occupied.  The way I heard N7DD, K5TR and N5AW CQ’ing on
15 Sunday I assumed they got an opening to Europe that the rest of the US
didn’t!

There must be surge of licensing in Iceland, I never worked so many TF’s before,
congratulations!

I think I only accomplished about 5 moves during the whole contest, thanks to
those that helped me out.

Don’t know how many times W2RE and myself were in the same pileup must have been
40 times!  Seems like Ray always beat me.

In the last 2 hours I worked TG, YN, HR, on 20 and SV, FJ and PJ7 on 40 for new
mults.

Congrads to K4ZW, AA1K and KQ2M for the big scores so far!