[3830] ARRLDX SSB N5AW SOSB/15 LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 7 12:09:19 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOSB/15 LP
QTH: TX

   15:  579   104
Total:  579   104  Total Score = 180,648

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment: Tentec Orion 100 w., 4 element SteppIR @ 40 m., 2 element quad @ 15
m.

Was planning to do my usual all band low power effort but a few days before the
contest I came down with the flu – 102.8 fever, etc. Though by Friday I was
beginning to recover, I decided it wasn’t worth pushing it with an SOAB marathon
and getting a relapse. I opted for a single band 15 meter entry and a decent
nights sleep. I was nice getting the rest but single band is not my cup of tea –
gets just plain boring, especially with low power.

We had a unique situation Sunday morning with a weak opening to Europe that did
not include the northeast US. I was able to sit on 21209 and run (“walk” might
be more accurate) Europe for 2 hours – a total of 75 Q’s. By contrast Saturday I
worked a total about 150 Europeans exactly 3 of which were from CQing – that’s
how difficult it is to run Europe on 15 meter SSB from here with low power when
you have to compete with the east coast. Despite the Sunday run I still had less
contacts than I did on 15 meters in the CW weekend in an all band entry. Worked
every multiplier heard except VK9NS who appeared to be "running the bands" with
one of the big multis.