[3830] WPX CW N6WG SOAB QRP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 29 22:02:24 EDT 2005

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Newark CA

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first serious run at the WPX and I really enjoyed
it.  My preliminary goal was 50K points and 100 prefixes.  I
managed to beat both by quite a bit.

I wound up with 123,959 points, 387 QSOs and 191 prefixes.  I'll
take these happily.  I've already seen scores from my fellow
QRPers over 500K, so my score isn't anything earthshaking.
However, it is a big deal for the Little Station with Attitude,
so I think I'll keep it :-)  I enjoyed hearing the KBs from my
fellow NCCC members.  Thanks for the encouragement.

My only complaint was that Sunday the bands pretty much crawled
into a hole and pulled it in after them.  Things were very slow
for most of Sunday until about 2300, then it seemed as if
everyone decided to get back on the air and try for whatever they
could get.  That hour I had three times the rate of the previous
afternoon hours.

I actually landed some new DX countries, in spite of conditions.
I added Cyprus (P32), the Balearic Islands (AM6) and Bosnia-Herzegina
(T93) to my list.  My antennas seem to like New Zealand, as I worked
every ZL I heard, for 16 station/band combinations.  One, ZL6QH, I
worked on 4 bands.

As always, I ran with my venerable K2, s/n 12, and my (in)famous
WimpyWire antenna system.  I'm in total awe of folks who can put
together a superb station half a world away and still copy my five
watts under these condtions.

My next activity will be Field Day.  Hope to run into a bunch of you
there.
73, Bob N6WG