[3830] CQWW CW VP9I(K1XM) SOAB(A) LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 28 09:54:07 EST 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VP9I
Operator(s): K1XM
Station: VP9I

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Bermuda

  160:  244    10       26
   80:  463    14       67
   40: 1402    28      100
   20: 1394    30      108
   15:  929    23       97
   10:   84     9       11

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station:  FT-1000mp

Antennas:  Cushcraft A4S, 40 meter dipole, 80 meter G5RV, 160 meter inverted-L

Micro review:

I ran W's.

Mini review:

I ran lots of W's.

Detailed review:

A new SO(A) record for Bermuda.  Actually, I broke the old record at 0002Z.  I
would have done it sooner except that when I changed from VP9/K1XM to VP9I I
clicked on the wrong log and accidentally loaded the phone log.  This tied up
the computer for a moment and lost me my planned starting frequency.

Despite the bad start, my first hour netted 187 QSOs.  I had 9 hours above 150
QSOs/hour and 24 100+ hours.  I think there is a 200+ hour in the log but I have
not looked for it yet.

Friday night was not good into Europe for me.  But I like to run and the
stateside stations accomodated me.

Saturday morning was good into Europe on 20, then 15. Europe died pretty quickly
after their sunset. The afternoon was running W's.

The low bands did better into Europe for me on Saturday than Friday.  I probably
should have gone to 40 earlier.

I took a nap Sunday morning at around 0600Z.

Sunday morning 20 seemed to open late.  I had a good run going, and when it
slowed I went to 15.  I could not get a good run going on 15.

If I couldn't run I figured it was time to pick up some multipliers.  That was
productive.

Sunday night I had a good run on 40, with three JA's calling in.

Ten meters was tough overall.  I could not hear most of the zone 8 and zone 9
stations.  I could hear weak W's working them but most of the time there wasn't
even a trace of a signal, and I tried direct, skew path, and backscatter.  The
LUs were loud but I never even heard a PY.  Europe?  Hah!  Africa?  ZD8A, TZ5A.
And of course HC8N was solid for hours.

This was fun!

Note to W2VJN:  I now understand what the AGC mod for the FT-1000mp does.  And I
need it real bad.