[3830] ARRLDX CW 8P9PA(W4PA) SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 21:16:52 EST 2006

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: 8P9PA
Operator(s): W4PA
Station: 8P9PA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: 8P

   40: 1282    59
   20: 1230    58
   15: 1178    58
Total: 5268   336  Total Score = 5,304,096

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

I'm sitting in the living room at Tom and Kathy's house in 8P typing this, post
contest on Monday night.  I fly back to the USA Tues a.m., and between not
getting home until late Tues. night and what will undoubtedly be a busy day at
work on Weds. I wasn't sure when I'd put the score up, so I decided to do it
now.

I've started a contest blog at http://w4pa.journalspace.com that I intend to do
a writeup on later.  There isn't much there at the moment, but so many details
have been lost to time over the past 10 years of radio contesting that I wanted
to start journaling some of it.

I am doing the QST article for this contest, probably around May or so for the
August issue.  Your stories, comments, anecdotes are welcome.  Please do not
send pictures yet, I'll ask for them later.  w4pa at yahoo dotcom

8P9PA contesting from Barbados, by the numbers.

Frequent flyer miles cashed in to get here on AA: 30000
Amount of US$ I spent on a rental car that's more than a little used up: 375

Times I drove my UK-style right hand drive car on the wrong side of the road:
1
Minutes I'd been in Barbados when the above took place: 10

Minutes it took to get a Barbados ham license: 30
Number of times I asked for a short "contest-style" callsign, politely: 4
Number of phone calls the desk clerk made trying to accomplish that: 2
Minutes spent to convince her to give me 8P9PA instead of a random 8P9 call
after short call denial: <1

Hours I spent lost in Bridgetown after getting my 8P license: 1

Hours spent installing/testing antennas on Thursday: 9
Hours spent taking them back apart Monday: 3

Number of hours I slept Th night>Fri and Fri afternoon: 13
Number of hours I was awake to operate the contest: 48
Number of hours actually on the air and operating: 45

Times the electricity went off before and after the contest: 0
Times the electricity went off during the contest: 6
Shortest contest power outage endured, minutes: 3
Longest contest power outage endured, minutes: 110

Number of hours I spent hitting the beaches and swimming Monday: 5

Hours it will take to get home Tuesday: 15

Fun quotient for the whole experience: <infinity

Thanks to:  W2SC's fine QTH and endless emails to me.  I had *40 pages* of W2SC
email printed out with me down here.  Tom (and Kathy), thanks.  It is out of
your control when the power goes off 4000 miles away from where you live.  W4NL
who provided advice from his 8P trips in the 1980's and early 90's and gave me
his chrome base Vibroplex paddle to take on the trip - you're a true friend,
Lynn.  AA4NC, K4BAI, and K4FJ also answered emails about 8P before I came.

See you in the next one.

73
Scott W4PA