[3830] NAQP RTTY WX4TM Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 26 12:36:27 EST 2006

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: WX4TM
Operator(s): WX4TM
Station: WX4TM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: AL
Operating Time (hrs): 9:45

   15:    9     6
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  572   150  Total Score = 85,800

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SO1R

Comments:

Many tks to all for the Q's. Exceptional good runs on 20, 40 and 80M but made
tactical error of going to 80M too early when rates began falling on 40 and
didn't check 15 until it was really too late to do too much good.  20 was long
with lots of EU and surprise call from VR2XMT late in afternoon but no ZL or
VK's. Was also surprised to get a call from VE8NSD Garth for my first ever NWT.
There's something about MT and ND because I seem to miss these two so often.
Since moving my QTH summer 2004, I've been rebuilding my antennas and I've
learned alot from my friend K9MUG especially about effects of high and low angle
antennas. I have a 48 ft tower with a 5 ele tribander and a 86 ft tower with
identical 5 ele tribander. The lower ant works best for high angle, rather close
in work, while the high ant is best for DX, the NE and far western states. I
started off with the high beam pointed NE and the low beam NW. Late in the
afternoon, I reversed these positions. I have an 80M L and a full size 40M vert
at 50 ft, both great low angle ants, complimented by an 80/40M fan dipole at 65
ft. Again the low angle ants work best for dx and east/west coast while the
dipoles work best closer in. This was the first contest that I think that I was
'almost' proficient at quickly changing antennas as the need arose - a whole lot
of switching back and forth. Was a good learning experience and great fun. I'd
been sick the last couple of weeks and didn't know if I'd be able to 'go the
distance'but felt pretty good during the enduro with only one half hr break
before my time ran out. As Darrell K9MUG mentioned, we had a good bit of rain
qrn and both 40 and 80 were pretty noisy early on but got better
late in the evening. I didn't equal my score from last year but chalk that up to
propagation, rain qrn/noise and the error mentioned above about going to 80M too
early. All in all had a great time. Again, thanks for all the Q's.
Tom WX4TM