[3830] NAQP CW N5DO Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 15 11:08:25 EST 2006

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX

   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  828   187  Total Score = 154,836

Club:

Team: Austin Powers Rustlers

Comments:

Great contest, but one that exposes my flaws, both operator and station.  I
attended a meeting in San Antonio on Thursday and Friday, then got up early
Saturday and drove 380 miles to home to operate the contest.  I had limited time
to make sure everything was ready and found that several things required
attention.  I missed the NCCC practice session on Thursday and Friday night to
shakedown bugs.

Being limited to a city lot with a small tower (55 feet), I like domestic
contests, but even so I have trouble on 80 and 160.  I was pleased with the
number of contacts and mults I had on those two bands, but I can still do
better.  I replaced my homebrew K9AY loop controller with the new one from Array
Solutions and found that it worked well.  I can hear much better on 160M than
people can hear me.  I need to work on improving my transmit antenna.

I went to 40M earlier than I ever had before, at 3:45 p.m. local time and the
band was great!  I again realized that two of my operating flaws are being
seduced by DX and running rate.  40M was so good I just stayed there and ran,
ran, ran.  I didn't worry about mults, and consequently suffered some from that.
 Like N3BB I operated straight through a planned break, and ended up taking the
last hour off.  I also spent way too much time trying to work ZF2NT on 160M (he
could never hear me) instead of letting it go.

I did somewhat better on SO2R and think I may actually be getting the hang of it
(sometimes).

 HOUR  160CW    80CW    40CW    20CW    15CW    10CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   18       0       0       0      43      42       0      85      85
   19       0       0       0      58      23       0      81     166
   20       0       0       0     110       0       0     110     276
   21       0       0      15      62       0       0      77     353
   22       0       0     111       6       0       0     117     470
   23       0       0     106       4       0       0     110     580

    0       0      21       7       5       0       0      33     613
    1       4      50       6       1       1       1      63     676
    2      20       0       3       0       0       0      23     699
    3      19      20      22       0       0       0      61     760
    4      23      37       8       0       0       0      68     828

  TOTAL    66     128     278     289      66       1

I am impressed with all the great scores -- wonderful ops!

73,

Dave, N5DO