[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K8CC Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 23 00:40:38 EST 2006

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K8CC
Operator(s): K8CC
Station: K8CC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EN82
Operating Time (hrs): 8:46

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  234    88  Total Score = 27,016

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

We usually operate in the limited multi-op category but minimal interest from
our usual crew prompted the station owner to single-op by himself.  However, the
station is set up for multi-op with 50/222 on one table and 144/432 on another.
The prospect of rolling back and forth across the carpeted floor with every band
move was not appealing.

Thus Saturday morning launched an attempt to re-arrange the station so that one
op could run it from a single spot.  With the layout of the station benches,
this also required compressing four bands from the usual four radios to two.
The result was the first QSO was not made until almost suppertime on Saturday.

Once everything was running, condx were so punk that I wondered why I bothered.
Still, I'm a big fan of VHF contesting (even if it's pretty dull out here in the
midwest) so I kept at it.  Sunday morning I had responsibilities at church.
After lunch, I got back on and found the conditions "less poor" (I hesitate to
say "better").  There was absolutely no enhanced propogation at all...

Which is not to say that there wasn't fun to be had.  Best DX distance-wise to
the east was K3YTL in FN20 on all four bands, and to the west it was K0HA in
EN10 on 50 MHz only.  Never heard K2DRH, WB9Z, or many of the usual suspects out
west.  OTOH, many of the "local" QSOs seemed to be unfamiliar callsigns to VHF,
so perhaps that's a good sign.

I SURE WISH THE JAPANESE HAM MANUFACTURERS WOULD INCLUDE 222 MHZ ON THEIR
MULTI-MODE RIGS!  Yes, I understand that they don't because its not a ham band
in Japan, but that's beside the point.  More and more it seems that when you ask
a station to QSY, they only have 50/144/432.  Yes, I'm glad they have those
three bands because in all likelihood, ten years ago they had no VHF/UHF bands.
Every contest I'm impressed with what I can work with 300W and a single K1FO
yagi on that band, and often signals are loudest on 222 of our four bands.

One first for this year: worked W8MIL in EN74 on 222 FM, the first FM QSO made
with the tranverter so I guess it DOES work.

So, while condx were mediocre, and I couldn't devote full time, it was a fun
weekend and I'm glad I was on.

73,

Dave/K8CC