[3830] NCCC Sprint(5-12) N3BB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri May 12 00:11:54 EDT 2006

                    Thursday NCCC Sprint Ladder (5-12)

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Austin, TX

  160:   0      0
   80:   8      5
   40:  30     13
   20:  16      8
-------------------
Total:  54     26  Total Score = 1,404

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I am really embarrassed.  Sorry for the high numbers sent.  I had worked with TR
and had made some practice QSOs earlier this week, and thought that I had
deleted the old DAT file with 21 practice QSOs before the contest started.
Somehow I didn't!  The contest started with great signals on both 20 and 40,
and the bands were as quiet and good as they ever get here in the spring and
summer.  I started getting beat out the first three times I called someone.  My
first QSO was with K4BAI who asked for a fill.  John, asking for a fill?  Mr.
CW!  Number 22?  No way.  I sent him "NR 2" for some reason.  None of this
makes any sense because he was my first QSO.  Don't ask me why!  Finally I
looked at the screen on about the fifth contact and was amazed to see that it
was number 26 or so.  I was as shocked as the people who were receiving the
weird numbers!  It dawned on me then what I had done.

When John and I worked later, at around 02:53 I told him that the number for
our first QSO really was 22 and what I had done.  "Da Judge" said he
understood.  I probably should have saved our little rag chew for another time,
but why not continuie my lid-itis!

It seemed that I got beat out more often tonight than almost ever before, and
there were a lot of new people on.  It was terrific to see all the NW stations
on WA.

The bands were really quiet and a joy to operate.  The chief operator here
might need a replacement, though.  I got crossways on several QSOs and
generally suffered from LIDitis the entire time.

K5OY and W5JAW were on from the Austin area, and that was really fun.  K5OT had
a terrific number every time I worked him.  He was ahead of me (using real
numbers) the first two times I worked him and I was one ahead the last contact
on 80 at 02:59, so Larry really did a great job with his single radio and low
wire.

Stations worked the most:

4 times: WD0T, K7NV, and K4BAI
3 times: W5JAW, N4OGW, K5OT, N4AF, K8GU, N6RO, and K7SS

I stayed on 40 and 20 too long, only going to 80 at 02:53.  That was a bit too
late.  The time simply escaped me.  I went to 160 really late, at 02:59:10 and
heard N6RO and others, weak but Q5, and then called a CQ.  I thought N6RO came
back, but there was some QRM and the QSO never happened.  So I got skunked on
160 again.  Need to go to 80 at 02:50 and do 80/40 SO2R until 02:57 and then
hit 160/80 SO2R for mults.

There were so many stations available to work tonight, and a lot of callers and
competition for the jump balls.  Great fun!

Thanks again to the NCCC for the terrific NS Ladder.  It will be interesting to
see if Ken/RO or someone got the magic sixty tonight, as there was enough
activity for sure.

73,  Jim N3BB