[3830] CQWW CW KB1H M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 27 18:00:28 EST 2006

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KB1H
Operator(s): K1EBY,K1GX,KB1H,KM1X,N1GKI,N2TTA,N4XR,NB1U
Station: KB1H

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CT

  160:  231    20       83
   80:  741    32      115
   40:  552    33      117
   20: 1564    37      132
   15:  991    30      119
   10:  127    24       64

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Finally a good effort by our team produced a decent score. Usually
we work hard but end up with too low a score. This contest proved
we enjoy CW much more than SSB.

Friday was a busy day for me. I noticed during the bad weather
Thursday that the 5 element 20M beam was free wheeling. After a
few calls I got to my third level of climbing help and N1ROZ
came to help me re-align the antenna and reclamp the boom on the
mast. I also finished the termination of our new beverage into
the shack but at 1PM local time it sounded no different than our
existing beverage. Same daytime noise level. When you host a M/M
you usually start the contest tired just getting all the loose ends
and final preparations done. At 4PM local time I had to attend a
service for a friend's deceased mother. That meant I would miss
the start but our seasoned crew knew what to do and where to start.

I arrived back home 40 minutes into the contest and after one hour
we had 36 QSOs less that K1TTT on 80M. I kept asking the operator
if he started late! Just joking!

The Realtime scoreboard really keeps me motivated and interested.
We do not need to see KC1XX, W3LPL, and K3LR as they are on the top
level of M/M. Next comes NQ4I (improving all the time), K1TTT, K1RX, and a few
others. This is the group we use as a yard stick. It;s obvious that Dave
(K1TTT)
and I watch the scores. At one point we got a talk message asking
if our update was busted.

It is also interesting to get talk messages from a few who are
watching the webcam. Oopps! Does that mean we a DQed?

N2TTA had a 162 hour followed by a 145 hour on 20M the first day.
K1EBY had a number of hours over 100 with the Last 10 counter at
times well over 300. KM1X had an outstanding first night on 160
where we ended up with 83 countries and 20 zones. NB1U missed
some operating due to a funeral but when in the chair he kept
a steady rate and busted many a pileup for the new multiplier.

Special thanks to N1GKI who continues to provide our IT support
and got very little sleep time when here. Our three new computers
ran great but the two older machines had issues. Especially when
the Bandmap got crowded. (N1MM Logger)

Well, we had lots of fun. Food included beef stew, chili, chicken
and dumplings, pizza, and stuffed shells. Sunday afternoon we lost some
steam as some had to leave for work that evening. The last two hours
we were down to two operators. I still need to work on operator
management but it is tough to make people sit around when there are
only two or three bands open.

There was alot of work to prepare for this season and I want to
thank everyone who helped. Digging holes for the new beverage poles in New
England is a feat of its own. We grow rocks here!

We wish to thank all for the QSOs and keep working us in future
contest. Next up is playing in the ARRL 160 contest between chores
and an office dinner. After that N2TTA will be doing a Single OP
effort in ARRL 10.

                   73 Dick - KB1H