[3830] NA Sprint RTTY W6YX(K6OWL) QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 15 18:51:19 EDT 2006

                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): K6OWL
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: CA

---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC

Comments:

About a fifteen percent increase in Qs with one less mult over last session's
QRP effort, probably due in some measure to minor improvement in our SO2R setup
for RTTY at W6YX and the chance to test the system and practice earlier that
afternoon in the Makrothen RTTY contest.

Used two radios, two computers, two keyboards, two monitors, and one headset
with audio from each radio fed into each side.  This allowed me to focus on
spinning the dial on the more productive S&P side until I heard something from
the less productive CQ side.  Efforts to ping-pong CQs on both radios until
someone answered late in the contest didn't seem as worthwhile as the earlier
procedure but things were slowing down anyway.

QRP (even with the gain from the big 'YX aluminum) seemed to exacerbate QSB
issues, especially on the lower bands (A was in the 20s and K was at 3 or 4),
as stations (both local and distant) I had worked not long before would CQ in
my face minutes later, and vice versa.

Twelve stations constituted more than half of the QSO total at W6YX:

10 QSOs -  1 station
 9 QSOs -  1 station
 7 QSOs -  3 stations
 6 QSOs -  3 stations
 5 QSOs -  5 stations
 4 QSOs -  2 stations
 3 QSOs - 10 stations
 2 QSOs -  9 stations
 1 QSO  - 15 stations

I did my best to try to keep up with neighbors Ed W0YK and Mork K6UFO with whom
I had many contacts and thereby set a pace for me.  It seemed that there were
fewer participants but it may have been the effect of the seemingly spotty
conditions.

73, Mark K6OWL for W6YX