[3830] NA Sprint SSB KL7RA(AL7IF) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 17 00:31:25 EDT 2006

                    NA Sprint SSB Contest

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): AL7IF
Station: KL7RA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Nikiski

   80:    0       0
   40:   53     :50
   20:  152    3:10
---------------------

Team:

Comments:

It was like I died and went to Nikiski...

I hadn't done a contest since the solar flux was 170... so I was rusty... and
it was tremendous fun! Lots of loud signals, and enough casual operators to
fill in the slower times.

I did a sprint once years ago (I think it was CW) and it was frustrating... In
part because it was a new contest format for me, and I am sure that part of it
was that it was from Fairbanks. In Fairbanks, in a NA contest, everyone is
working everyone, and so if you're from Alaska, you need to be loud because
you're usually off the side of someone's beam... so the guy on the other coast
that you're pointed directly at is a lot easier to work than the KL7 that is
off the side... In Fairbanks, you're loud some of the time, but then the crowd
moves to 40, and you have no propagation yet...

Here in Nikiski, everyone hears you... and when they move, you can move, too...
In fact, I should have moved to 40 earlier, because when I finally did, my rate
went way up... it was that Fairbanks mentality... stick with the band where
you're getting good reports. Good reports but no rate equals also-ran.

Rich's new location is amazing. EVERYONE I heard, I worked. The propagation
from the new QTH is SO MUCH BETTER than from Fairbanks. Of course, the station
itself (while still under construction) is first rate, too.

This was big fun! Thanks everyone!

73,

Wigi
AL7IF