[3830] CQ WW RTTY K4EA M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 25 12:44:26 EDT 2006

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K4EA
Operator(s): K4EA,W6FO
Station: K4EA

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: GA

   80:  178   245       43      22    11
   40:  414   774       51      71    25
   20:  440  1008       42      78    25
   15:  348   834       36      75    27
   10:   46    79       18      12    11
Total: 1426  2940      190     258    99  Total Score = 1,608,180

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

This is the first (and last) time I do a multi-op with only two operators.  I
spent most of Thursday and Friday reconfiguring the station for M/2.  After
only one hour of operating (and about 40 Q's), the other operator had an
emergency and had to quit.  How about a new category, "Multi Two - almost
totally one operator"!

Considering Solar cycle low, (SFI ~70), high K index during the second day, low
band QRN, and several "murphyisms", I had a great time.  My antenna situation on
20M is still poor (no rotary Yagi) and the numbers on that band are reflected by
it.  The tuner on the NW/SE 40M Zepp could not handle the continuous power and
required spit and bailing wire repair.  Then I reduced power to about 500W.
The LK-800 amp also gave me some problems.  Melted fuses required replacement
twice and when on 15M the tuning kept changing.  (result of the 40M antenna
problem?)  Also, 40M was getting into 20M.  It sounded like arcing noise and
not harmonic or overload interference but it didn't matter which transmit
antenna was used.  I thought it might be the coax filter stub, so I took it out
of line but that did not fix the problem.  Looks like I have some work to do on
my 40M system before CQWW Phone.  I guess I'm still an elephant on 80M as there
were many stations I could hear that could not hear me.

Thanks to all for the QSO's.  Special thanks to AB5K, K0SR, K1TTT, K3MM, K6HGF,
KU1CW, W0LSD, and HC8N for all band sweeps. (Hope I didn’t miss anybody)

Neal, K4EA