[3830] ARRL 160 N3NR M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 2 09:44:17 EST 2007

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N3NR
Operator(s): N3NR
Station: N3NR

Class: M/S HP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 570  Sections = 67  Countries = 17  Total Score = 100,296

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Another fun ARRL 160! Decided to use packet this year to catch the elusive KH6 I
keep missing. (KH6 is elusive with my inverted U with 2 above ground radials!)
Finally caught not just one, but two KH6's... one without the help of spotting.
Musta been good conditions this year!

Packet certainly helped with other multipliers as well. The Europeans were
easily heard and I was surprised at how relatively easy they were to work.
Typically I can work Europe outside of a contest, but have had only sporadic
success in a contest with the DX.

Also had a goal this year of breaking the 100k barrier. Wasn't sure I was going
to make it for a while last night. Looked like a sinch, everything was working
great until Saturday night. Took a head break and came back to find my IC-765
silent... the dreaded PLL unlock problem. Shut everything down and gave the rig
some time to change temp, but after 2 hours it still was in limbo. Decided the
cards were against me and went to bed. Got up around 5AM to find everything OK.
So I jumped back on and got going again. Had one more bout of the PLL unlocking
(right in the middle of a QSO with a W8; sorry!). Overcame that dropout quickly
and got back to work for the last time. Was finally able to cross the 100k line
just before 8AM.

A new best score for me in this one. Looking forward to next year already!