[3830] ARRL 10 NN7ZZ(N5LZ) SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 9 19:07:52 EST 2007

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NN7ZZ
Operator(s): N5LZ
Station: N5LZ

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Utah

   CW:  183    35
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  183    35  Total Score = 25,620

Club: Utah DX Assn

Comments:

This one was just a VHF contest …. Sporadic E, aurora, short burst meteor
scatter, but no F layer skip.   The band was so quiet at times I had to check
to make sure I hadn't switched to the dummy load.  After a slow grind Saturday,
the band was dead at 5 pm, so I shut down to get ready for a “must attend”
holiday party.  While waiting for my xyl to finish getting ready I turned the
rig back on to an open band with many strong sporadic E signals coming in from
W5 and W4… I made 15 quick contacts in about 10 minutes before I absolutely
had to leave … after slugging out one contact at a time all day I had to
leave when the band was hot .. what a bummer …. And when I returned 3 hours
later the band was still open to the same area and I managed another 40 or so
qsos with my best rates of the entire contest.  The band was still open with no
stations left to work when I finally shut down at 0515 gmt.  Makes one wonder
which is worse: A dead band with many stations on … or an open band with no
stations on.  Sunday was another slow grind … no real openings and I managed
less than 25 more qsos … I’ll always wonder how many good Qsos I lost
during those three hours at the party!

I have no W1, W2, W3 or W8s in the log, and VE7 is the only province.  The most
pleasant surprise was ZS1EL calling me at 17:51 Saturday during a very slow
E-skip run with MO, KS, OK and AR …. probably multihop E?

Things can only get better!