[3830] XE RTTY VA7ST SO1R HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 4 15:36:29 EST 2007

                    Mexico RTTY International Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SO1R HP
QTH:

   80:   56  163     5
   40:   40  123     9
   20:  205  621    47
   15:   17   56     6
   10:
------------------------
Total:  318  963    67  Total Score = 64,521

* FT920 + SB221
* N1MM + MMTTY
* All-band vertical on ground
* 3 el. tribander at 45'

Flux at at 90, A=2 and K-1 so I expected pretty good conditions. They were
so-so, as it turned out.

CN8LI was like nextdoor in the first few minutes. An OH Express was going early
on, too, but not a lot of other EU heard on Saturday morning. By 2100z Saturday
conditions were weaker. SFI down to 87, A=5, K=1

40M wasn't too hot Sat. night, but 80M felt good. Watched a little corona light
up at the tip of my vertical's 80M whip with 700W applied.

Sunday morning 20M EU path was pretty good with lots of mults calling in
between 1500z and 1600z before the band moved. Finished up on 15M with a couple
of final XE mults. Good contest. Score up from previous years.

Year   QSO  Pts  Mults   Score
==============================
2007:  318  963    67   64,521
2006:  312  920    54   49,680
2005:  271  816    55   44,880
2004:   74    0    20    4,540

318 Qs this year (not including dupes). What's with the chronic dupers? Work
'em anyway is a good policy, however, I suspect some dudes don't bother to keep
a log and roam around plugging anyone they hear, worked before or not. I'm
keeping a list to see if there are regulars. A genuiunely busted first Q is
fine to pick up later, but don't waste valuable time on a dupe Q signal check.

Looking forward to WPX RTTY. Won't have the 40M and 80M wire antennas redone in
time, but still hope to have a lot of fun with the junk in the air now.

Have ordered the MFJ 1026 noise cancelling box, so might have that going for
WPX -- hoping it'll help remove the horrible BC Hydro power line noise out of
due east on all bands. Their line noise expert is coming up from Vancouver
again in a couple weeks, but two trips so far over the past two years have not
found the  actual noise source. Though candidates have been checked, the
debilitating noise continues. Third time lucky? Here's hoping.