[3830] ARRLDX CW ND0C SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 18 23:00:50 EST 2007

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Minnesota

   10:    5     5
-------------------
Total:  229   142  Total Score = 97,554

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Had a blast, despite the inherent frustratins of using only 3 watts from "the
black hole" of the Upper Midwest.  (The rewards are proportional to the
challenge!)  I had only planned to get on for a couple hours to see if I could
scare up any "good stuff", but ended up getting hooked for a lot longer for a
more serious entry.  I doubt if I can beat the guys in the East, but I thought
I'd turn it in anyway!

Conditions seemed reasonably good and things went well (from a QRP
perspective).  - Decent conditions on 80 and 40 and 10 even opened up (sort
of).  Thanks for the great ears out there!  There are some really great
operators with good receivers and antennas - I appreciate your patience and
persistence in pulling me out.

Its amazing what you can work if you find them before the packet hordes
descend!  Even if packet was acceptable for SO, I am convinced that it would be
totally counterproductive for use by a QRP station in a contest.  It's just too
difficult to compete with the masses.  The old-fashioned way of actually
finding the DX first is best: "stealth DXing"!  When you're weak, you have to
be "sneaky"!

An additional handicap here this year: my rotator is broken so rotation
requires the old "arm-strong" method with a rope from one end of my monster (3
el tribander) Yagi.  - Not the most efficient way to contest, but I got some
good exercise running outside and tromping through the snow to turn the beam!

Equip: Ten Tec Argonaut 509 (3 watts out); N3FJP software
Antennas: Wilson System 3 (3 element triband Yagi) at 15 meters; wires for 80
and 40.

73,
Randy, ND0C