[3830] NCQP WK4P Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 26 23:36:12 EST 2007

                    North Carolina QSO Party

Call: WK4P
Operator(s): WK4P
Station: WK4P

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Ashe
Operating Time (hrs): 10 hrs

   80:   55     39
   40:   69     54
   20:    1     35
   15:
   10:    1      2
--------------------

Club: Ashe County ARC

Comments:

I love this contest.

The hollerin' hillbilly, WK4P, was active again from Ashe County, in the NW
corner of NC for the 2007 NCQP. This was my 4th year in the NCQP and every year
I seem to have new goals and new challenges.

For 2007 my goals were:

1. Win single op instate.
2. Repeat as the most NC counties/instate plaque winner.
3. Make 100 CW contacts.
4. Have fun.

Results:

1.  I didn't win, probably didn't come close.  Just plain didn't get enough
mults.  Probably spent too much time calling CQ and not enough looking for
counties.

2. I didn't work enough counties.  I was down 24 counties vs. last year.  Again
if I had called less and S&P more I might have found those I missed.

3. I made 126 CW contacts, double last year's total.  I also learned how far I
have to go as a good CW op.  For the past month I've been playing at various CW
contests, trying to get my speed up.  I thought I was doing pretty good, at
least until I got on the other side and started calling CQ.  All of a sudden I
couldn't copy, couldn't send or anything.  I figured out part of the problem,
when I took my hand off the keyboard to reach for the number pad on the right
side I lost track of the CW.  I'm not quite sure how to fix that but at least I
know part of the problem.  Then I'd get frustrated and couldn't send.  Growing
pains I guess.  I did some better toward the end of the contest as I realized I
just needed to slow down and go at my own speed.  Tnx to all who took the time
to bear with me and get the contact.  Maybe next year I'll have the kinks
worked out.

4. I had a blast. My first contacts in the contest was on 10 meters so some of
our local club members could exercise their new technician privledges. On 20
phone I worked many /AG stations, several for their first HF contact, that was
pretty cool.  Then while calling on 80 I was pleasantly surprised to hear
KI4LPR using his new HF tech privledges to give me a CW contact.  Two contacts
later his brother, KI4LRD did the same.  I must have grinned like a 'possum
when I heard those two calls.  With about 10 minutes to go in the contest,
still needing my home county of Ashe, I sent my son, KI4IAC, out to the truck
to make his first HF contact on 10.  With all the excitement generated by these
new priveledges how could one not have had fun in the contest.

So I met two of my four goals this year, not too shabby at all.  Now if I can
improve my operating skills maybe my two other goals will become reality next
year.

Peace and 73 to all
Adam WK4P