[3830] CQ160 SSB W1CTN Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 27 00:04:49 EST 2007

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: W1CTN
Operator(s): W1CTN
Station: W1CTN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CT

Total:  QSOs = 421  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 10  Total Score = 59,531

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Let me get the complaints out of the way first, then I'll talk about the fun I
had.

First:

With the all the noise it was tough, but what else is new? If you don't like MF
operating maybe you should operate VHF. It's the nature of the beast. I can't
remember when we didn't have a 160 SSB contest that was wasn't real noisy. My
personal opinion is that the contest should be in January when it always seems
quieter. So much for my 02 cents.

Second:

This is the first time I experienced "DELIBERATE JAMMING" in a 160 contest. It
occured when I was running Friday and Saturday evening around 1912-1915 kHz. At
first I thought it was just someone retuning to give me a call. With the narrow
banded antennas on Top Band you have to put up with this to get the QSO.

I can deal with that, it's part of the 160 game, but when some @#$%ing cretin
continues to tune and move his VFO across my frequency it really is a disgrace
to the "gentleman's band". It became so irritating that I had to QSY.

I should pity this poor soul as it is apparent that he, or possibily she, was
conceived under a cold war jamming array and suffers from a genetic defect. But
I don't...take you & your baggage back to 11 meters.

160 meters is and I hope will always stay "The Gentleman's Band"

So much for the stink...now for the perfume.

I had a great time operating. It was a pleasure to hear so many familiar
signals mixed with lots of 1st time 160 ops. I recently upgraded the antenna
system from a 40' vertical leg inverted L to one with approximately 70' of
vertical height. It apparently played as well as it could.

Murphy hit me an hour after I started Friday night. I had to swap out a antenna
the dial readings as they were all off with the new capacitor.

The band was packed from 1800 kHz to 1970 kHz. Both Friday and Saturday night I
started running at 1912-1915 and got pushed away by the jammer. At least I have
a fan club.

QSY'ed to the "cheap seats" around 1950 kHz and had some nice runs. After the
runs ran dry I did the S/P mode from the bottom to the top of the band.

Friday night/Saturday morning got me most of my Caribbean mults and XE1. I did
find a hole in the high rent district (1807 kHz) and did some running which
netted me with a call from MI0LLL @ 0701z. He was as strong as a local. This is
the 3rd year in a row that a Irish station has called me after 0700z with
signals as strong as a local.

Saturday evening, again while running, netted me both CT9L @ 0227z and UU7J @
0236z. 6Y1V called in at 0308z. I did not hear much Europe at all during the
contest due to noise and I was amazed when these 3 Europeans and 1 Caribbean
station called me. I operated until 0420z and then shut down for some sleep. I
found that from 0500z to 0900z my rates are very low. I just don't have the
horsepower to get further out west until the band stabilizes in that direction
and I didn't hear any other Europeans, so it was snooze time.

I was active again at 0937 Sunday hoping to catch KL7 for my last state, but
that was a pipe dream. I did work all of my far midwest and western station
from 0937z thru 1228z. I heard KH6MD S5 with everyone calling him at 1155z when
I was in full daylight. I worked NK7U with my other callsign (NA1QP) at 1200z.

I shut down at 1228z Sunday and came back at 2033z to work some locals that I
knew I had missed earlier. The band was packed with local signals. My last
surprise of the contest was having SN3R call me above 1900 kHz at 2318z. I have
never worked or had a European call me so early. The new inverted L really must
work.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time out to work me. I wish I could
have put in more time, but we all have reality to deal with along with playing
radioman. I would also like to thank Mike, W1JQ, whose archery skills put the
line up in my highest tree for the new 160 meter L.

Next project is to make the inverted L into a FAT inverted L to get the
bandwidth to cover the whole band without tuning. Tried a coaxial L ~ala W4TWW
and it did not work.

Until next year...
73
Dave W1CTN Radio Ansonia Connecticut

Popgun station description:

FT 1000 MP Mk5 @ 100 watts
1/4 wave inverted L 70' vertical 60' horizontal x 35 100' radials

To all stations reporting their scores:
Please list your antenna descriptions, I like to know what the other guy is
using.