[3830] WPX CW K6JEB SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 27 23:33:07 EDT 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K6JEB
Operator(s): K6JEB
Station: K6JEB

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:43

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Comments:  It wasn't until about ten minutes after this one started that I even
realized I wanted to make a few contacts.  I opened Writelog, got the message
bufferes ready, and sat down to see how I would fare for a few before I got to
other things.  The YL had us slated for the festival in Boulder Creek on
Sunday, so I wasn't about to get too serious about a contest this weekend (I'm
saving those tokens for later this season).

Using my Butternut HF6V on the roof and a shortened (82') dipole for 160m at
about twenty-five feet, I managed to get the ear of most stations I could hear,
but I just couldn't grab a frequency for very long, and even when I did, it nary
brought in more than three or four QSOs.

I enjoy this contest because of the plethora of multipliers.  The length of the
event is also a good test of operator endurance.  I wound up logging about 24
hours of time on for this one.  When I stopped, I had surpassed my eventual
'goal' of 200 QSOs.  I kept going after 200 since I wanted a few 'insurance'
points . . . you know how that goes, before long I had hit 300.

Murphy struck during the daytime:  for some reason, my antenna develops a high
SWR suddenly.  At night this isn't an issue.  I suspect a damaged capacitor on
the Butternut that only shows up when the day winds/breezes bend it far enough.
 I tuned-up the 160m dipole to get past this issue which seems mostly confined
to 20m.  Time to get that A3S put together and up.

Would it be helpful to others to have a set of 'boilerplate' messages for at
least the CW/RTTY messages in Writelog posted on the club site?  I know that
eventually during a contest there develops an accepted format, but I think it
might be nice to have them ready ahead of time, and it really helps when
everyone essentially sends the same sequence, for sure during QRM/QRN.

We left for Boulder Creek around 9am this morning.  Pretty mushy bands still at
that hour.  How was the home stretch of this contest?  Were there any rare ones
that showed up?

73 de K6JEB
Jack