[3830] CQWW CW K0XP SOSB/80 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 25 19:47:22 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0XP
Operator(s): K0XP
Station: K0XP

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH: CT

  160:    0     0        0
   80:  178    21       82
   40:  180    16       70
   20:    0     0        0
   15:    0     0        0
   10:    0     0        0

Mainly playing around, didn't get on until almost 04Z Friday night, and quit at
09Z. A few new countries on both 80 and 40, thanks to the expeditioners!
Entering as SOSB/80 LP; the 40m log will be only as a checklog. Antennas sure
do need improvement. In the Pacific, only worked a few KH6s and 2 ZLs on 80m
but heard a few strong JAs long path early Sunday evening on 40m. Never heard
KL7 loud enough to call them. Didn't bother trying 40m for the Pacific except
early Sunday evening and only heard JAs: the AH2 and other Pacifics weren't
audible to me. Couldn't get through to E51A Saturday night on 80 to save my
life  8-(

Good guy award: VE3NE, who, sometime during the last 2 hours on 40m, kindly
moved when he happened to land close to some new multiplier I was chasing,
called "QRL?"  and I told him yes. Heard many instances of guys asking "QRL?"
and moving when they got a response but several, especially one N3, seemed to
be in a particularly obnoxious mood and insisted on slugging it out with other
super-stations; maybe they had a fight with the significant-other just before
the contest?  ;o/ There were also a few guys, two 9s in particular, who clearly
weren't hearing the DX inside the pileups and just added to the din; I never
heard them work the DX. So what's new?  ;o) All European ops that I heard were
great as were the vast majority of Norte Americanos and all the expeditioners.

Rig(s): Only one radio at a time, preferably my TS-680S but had to dig out the
TS-130S for several hours when nearby strong signals overloaded the 680 early
Saturday night on 40m. Ran both at 85 watts output. Surprisingly, had very
little trouble with strong stations as close as 300 Hz as long as they weren't
overloading these old radios. Only ran into one instance where someone was
closer than that and could still copy the DX through them. Unlike in the ARRL
DX test last spring, conditions were such that the super stations rarely got so
loud as to overload the radios other than Friday night.

80m: Inv V ^ 16m
40m: Sloper ^ 18m