[3830] TxQP N8II Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 15 11:43:03 EDT 2007

                    Texas QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~15

  160:    0      0
   80:    7      0
   40:   27     33
   20:  157    243
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  191    276      0  Mults = 169  Total Score = 204,118

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I started off full of enthusiasm, but it didn't take long to dwindle on
 Saturday as I wasn't really able to work the mobiles on 40 and 20 was
 barely open if at all to some parts of TX. Finally around 16Z, 20 opened
 well enough to get a good SSB run going. But by 19Z things were going
 down hill, and by 2115Z only a few signals were left. I stopped being
 able to run on 20 SSB around 2030Z. To boot, only NO5W, K5NA, and KG5U
 seemed to be active much on 20 CW from their mobiles, disappointing to
 say the least. K5NA/M was workable long after almost everyone else had
 faded out, wrong turn into XE? From 20Z onward 40 CW was a sea of RTTY
 sigs working the CQWW, far from a marriage made in heaven with the TXQP!
 I searched mainly in vain thru the crud every half hour or so. 40 phone
 was better, but there was not much activity; 80 was noisy and empty
 except for a few CW sigs and they were barely able to copy me.

 Sunday was far better and my rate was actually better than Saturday. 20
 was open decently right from the start at 14Z until the end. The number of
 mobiles active on both modes increased and it was tough to decide whether
 to break off a SSB run to look for CW mobiles a couple of times. No packet
 used here; it ruins the challenge. At the start of one SSB run, about 5
 out of my first 7 Q's were mobiles! N5RZ/M showed up for 8 QSO's of which
 7 were new counties and K5P/M finally made it to 20. The mobile activity
 Sunday was about twice that of Saturday on 20M; many thanks!

 A breakdown of the mobiles worked with over 4 Q's is as fillows:
 K5NA 26 Q's in 22 counties, NO5W 20 counties, W3DYA 15, KG5U 14, WW5X 12,
 W0BH 11, K5P 9, N5RZ 8, KE5LQ 7 on SSB, W5WB 6 on SSB, KE5JL 6 on SSB,
 WC5D 6, N5NA 6, KD6HWD 5 SSB, KK5LO 5 SSB, KE5MS 5, WB0TEV 5 SSB. Thanks
 for the bonuses as well!

 Thanks to NO5W and the club for sponsoring this event. There are enough
 casual ops and mobiles active to keep things interesting if condx are decent.
 Last year 20M was good 14-01Z; hopefully it will return to that next year.