[3830] CQWW SSB K0RC SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 28 20:49:36 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K0RC
Operator(s): K0RC
Station: K0RC

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: MN

  160:   11     4        4
   80:   56    14       32
   40:   88    20       45
   20:  235    31       98
   15:  237    24       78
   10:   88    11       28
------------------------------
Total:  715   104      285  Total Score = 737,933

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I decided to maximize my score for the Phone event and figured the assisted
category would help. I did S&P the entire contest. I was running 300 ~ 500
Watts which raises me one notch above the LP category, but I did have to wait
my turn in many of the pileups. I find the last two hours are the most
difficult because everyone is trying to snatch up multipliers before time runs
out!

I only spent enough time to pick off easy contacts and multipliers on 160m.
There were no WX storms in this area to disrupt 160m and 75m DX signals. The
40m band is always a challenge with unpredictable conditions and split
operation. But once I get a few splits logged, 40m adds to the contesting
exitement when you have to find stations, set up the splits, and work them. I
noticed some DX stations were taking advantage of their expanded frequency
privledges in the 7100 ~ 7200 KHz range.

The big surprise was to have 10m and 15m openings on both Saturday and Sunday.
My band QSO totals are virtually equal for 40/10 and 20/15. I didn't plan that
outcome, I just followed the packet activity and band openings as they came and
went. I even noticed messages on the packet system about 10m being open between
SA and EU.

One of my contest goals is to achieve DXCC in one contest. I made it. I logged
114 entities, and missed 20m single band DXCC by 2 countries. There were a
couple spotted I left on the table because the signals/propogation was marginal
and the pileup was too big.

Propogation stole some multipliers on 15m Sunday afternoon. There were a dozen
JA stations spotted, they were strong enough to verify their callsigns, but the
NA to AS path just wasn't strong enough for them to hear me calling! There were
a few other Asians (9M6, VR10, XU, and V) stations that avoided my log as
well.

I steup my internal Icom DVK and used that for sending my ID and signal
reports. It "felt like" my response rate was much better compared to when I
called using the mic. It sure saved on my voice.

Well the second BIG one for the 2007/8 contest season is behind me (CQWW DX
RTTY is my first big one). My station shake down was nearly flawless, with only
a problem with my 144/440 vertical at the top of the tower. I installed it
several years ago and only hooked a piece of coax and a radio on Friday
afternoon. It can't hear beans.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN