[3830] OhQP K8CC M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 24 15:52:13 EDT 2008

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8CC
Operator(s): K8CC, KK8I
Station: K8CC

Class: M/M HP
QTH: MI

   80:  100    117
   40:   40      7
   20:   15      1
   15:    1      1
   10:    1      1
--------------------
Total:  157    127  CW Mults = 66  Ph Mults = 60  Total Score = 55,566

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The original plan for this weekend was a "training" multi-op to introduce my
nephew (a fairly new ham) and Uli's two teenage daughters (also fairly new
hams) to contesting, but plans did not work out.  It turned out that the girls
had conflicts, and my nephew (who is an automation software engineer) spent the
entire night before OhQP on emergency work-related assignment in an auto
assembly plant.  So Uli and I were QRV at the start of OhQP and by the time my
brother and nephew arrived in late afternoon, we'd already worked most of the
readable stations (not to mention S9 summertime QRN).  Not exactly a great
environment for a new ham getting his first taste of HF operating.

Still, the contest was a lot of fun.  It was our first attempt for at doing a
QSO party seriously from outside the "target" area.  We had a rig on phone and
a rig on CW, but with a common set of amplifiers and antennas.  When two bands
were usable (say 20 and 40, or 40 and 80) rates were decent because the two
stations had to be on separate bands to operate simultaneously.  40M was never
good (or even decent) for Ohio QSOs.  We didn't work (or even hear) any of the
mobiles on 40M phone.  And once 40M went long and all hope of OH QSOs were
lost, the contest became essentially a single band event.

I never thought that it could be productive for an out-of-state station to call
CQ in a QSO party, but I was surprised that at least 90% or more of our 75M SSB
QSOs came off CQs (with a lot of good county mults).  It's a good thing too,
because the ONLY band where we had phone CQs answered was on 75M.

We were shooting to break the out-of-state multi-op record of 277 x 123 =
58,917 set by N9JF in 2005, but wound up a little more than 3K short.  We made
slightly more QSOs and mults, and while our phone score was much better, our CW
was way below Jim's total which did us in.

Another fine job by the mobiles and portable stations.  TWice with K8MR and
once with N8KR, we managed to get "twofers" on 75M phone, where we caught the
mobile just as they were crossing a county boundary and we got QSOs from each
county.

73, Dave/K8CC and Uli/KK8I