[3830] CQWW CW J3/DL5AXX SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 1 16:03:03 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: J3/DL5AXX
Operator(s): DL5AXX
Station: J3/DL5AXX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Grenada

  160:  188    14       45
   80:  487    20       68
   40: 1906    28       93
   20: 2333    28       95
   15:  611    23       79
   10:    1     1        1

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

first, thanks to all of you for the QSO's...

Goal was to reach 5000 QSO's, but after hearing much noise on 160 and 80 and no
one on 15 prior to the contest, I took the goal down to 4000.

QTH Cabier lodge at the south east part of Grenada

Planned setup: SO2R

Station 1
Spiderbeam (20m-10m)
Vertical 40m
combined vertical for 80m and 160m on base of 60ft-spiderbeam pole
TS480+AL1200

Station 2
HF9V (80m-10m)
K3+AL811

Antenna and filter switching (coax stubs) using 2 Microham StationMaster
driving 3 6x-switches

realized:
In a few hours of winding coils and cutting coax as capacitor, I didn't get a
match for the vertical on 80m. So I decided to use the HF9 on 80m. The place to
lay out the radials was very limited, so most of them are in the atlantic ocean.
May be I play with some kind of elevated radials the next days. All other
antenna setup went up as expected.
The amps doesn't worked as expected. Finally it ended up in 2 AL811, which
reach 400 to 500 watts depending on the band, where on of them doesn't work on
15m. I have to contact Elecraft to get the K3 back to live. Just before the
contest the K3 went dead on frequencies above 30m. Antenna and filter switching
worked as expected.
So there was only a 2 radio setup left on the low bands, where it was quite
unusable due to the statics...

The contest started with great rates on 40m. I reach #500 at 02:42. Then I went
to 80m and 160m. There was heavy statics on both bands. Not to compare with the
last years condx, where I operated J3A on 80m. So my apalogies to all that
doesn't get heard. 30 minutes after sunrise I started on 20m with heavy pile
ups. After nobody came back to me, I had to operate split even on 20m. At 14z I
checked 15m first time and heard some weak europeans and started a modest run,
with a mix of EU and NA. After 2 hours I went back to 20m, checking 10m from
time to time, without any signal on. I tried a few times to go back to 15m for
some NA, but didn't got a run. 22z 20m was very slow, so I decided to take nap
and attend to marriage diner of hungarian pair, which was married at the
lodge's beach on saturday. So day 1 ended in 3000+ QSO's. Getting back to the
plastic chair at 01z the runs on 40, 80 and 160 was much slower then first
night as expected, but with instant runs. There was heavy storms and rains that
night, to be afraid on my antennas. At 9z I was that tired, that I didn't know
what I have done. So I went to the sofa for another nap until 10:30z. Then I
started again on 20m with the same heavy pileups as on Saturday. This time i
moved to 15m earlier and I got some good european runs. Later I got another
good NA run on 15. The last 2 hours I spend on 40 m, starting with some good
beverages like rum punch...
Now it's Monday I'm back to the lodge's life.

I'm very happy on the result, operating as single op in the CQWW for the first
time.

Thanks also to J39AL for local support.

73 es cu on the low bands these days