[3830] ARRL 10 K4EA SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 15 10:20:27 EST 2008

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K4EA
Operator(s): K4EA
Station: K4EA

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: GA

   CW:  537    71
  SSB:  332    49
-------------------
Total:  869   120  Total Score = 337,920

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

I have been active in this contest since the very first one, through cycle
troughs and peaks, from DX (KH6 & ZP) and both coasts; yet I am always amazed
at how this band can surprise you.  Never bored (what never! well, hardly
every), always fun!

Scatter was excellent both evenings and mornings.  Saturday morning I heard
ZS6JCY. He had a lot of trouble getting my call right and after he finally got
it, he faded into oblivion and I never got my number. Argh!  Looks like the
northeast guys got an E's opening into Europe, not a peep here.   Mostly
scatter and some weak E's during the day. Very little from the Caribbean and
South America and except for HI3CCP all the signals were weak.  I had to take
three hours off to go to a client's XMAS party (they always schedule it the
same weekend as this contest).  When I got back, the band seemed quite dead,
but a few CQ's, and it was non-stop until 0630z when I quit to get some Z's.
VE7CC was one of the last contacts before shutting down and was my only BC
contact. Sunday started out with good scatter and soon there was a strong E's
opening to Florida followed by single hop openings in all directions. During a
run to the northeast which included strong signals from the VE1's, I was
pleasantly surprised by a call from CT3FQ.  This was my only QSO outside of the
western hemisphere!  The band was good until about 2200z when the bottom just
dropped out.