[3830] RTTY WPX VE3AP(LU7DW) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 11 22:45:33 EST 2008

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: VE3AP
Operator(s): LU7DW
Station: VE3RM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: L'Orignal-ON

   80:  472  2124
   40:  379  1788
   20:  740  2004
   15:   94   258
   10:    3     9
-----------------
Total: 1687  6174  Prefixes = 614  Total Score = 3,791,450

Station #1:
Yaesu FT-1000MP, H-B Amplifier 1Kw, PK-232, PC Pentium 233 MHz
Station#2:
Kenwood TS-940, Alpha 87A, PK-232, PC Pentium 150 MHz

Antennas: Bencher Skyhawk (Fixed to EU), TH-5, 402CD, dipole for 80 meter

Comments:

THANKS to Don VE3RM to be a great host and very helpful.

It was planned as full effort SO2R, but Murphy visited the station last week
and before the contest starts, we lost the beverage and the Skyhawk's rotor was
stuck, leave me with only one rotary beam, a TH5 good for SSB band, not the best
for RTTY.

I tried SO2R AB HP for second time in RTTY, but using old setup: 2 PK-232, 2
Pentium I PC running DOS 6.2 (only one monitor and only one keyboard using a
switch between the PCs) and WF1B, not cluster, my only target was having fun.
I'd started two hours later, because I couldn't configure WF1B for 2 radios, it
was was a little challenging and I had had several PC's reset because RF inside
shack using the TH5 with high SWR.

I spent the first day trying to work as many stations as possible, always
running in the band with highest rates and only made 20 QSOs in 2nd radio.  The
second day I've tried to maximize my score and I was running EU for 6 straight
hours in same frequency in 20 meter, but I was starting to having calls from
near stations as  W8 and W9 with very strong signal (sporadic E I was
guessing), move the 2nd radio to 15 meter (It was S&P in 40 all day) and I was
hearing some stations, I made a mistake and move the running to 15 meter, drop
the rate, trying to get mults, move to 10 meter, work two more mults in 10,
back to 15 but suddenly Murphy came for another visit and the TH5 died. I could
believe my only rotary tribander was lost, therefore I move again to 20 and
start running US (not more EU) with the beam looking to EU, as it was
difficult, I've move to 40, but after one hour of a good running, the 40 meter
beam stop to work, I got desperate, but Don make some test and he found, the 40
meter tuner was dead, remove the tuner, reduce the power and keeping running
USA, at 20 GMT I've made the biggest mistake of the weekend, I made a bad
calculation of operation time (WF1B doesn't show operation time) and stopped
after almost 29 hours of operation, one hour earlier. I figured it that, last
night, meanwhile I was sleeping in the bed (post contest nightmare).

I made less than 100 QSOs in the second radio, I need a big improvement in SO2R
operation. Working my first JA ever in 40 from VE3, having D2NX calling me in
two bands and 2 different HZ1 was great also.

Sorry for all the stations I couldn't copy in 80, but without the beverages, it
is very hard copying the weakest signals between the noise

I'm planning to be again at VE3RM for CQ 160 SSB. (with the beverages
working again)

73, Claudio VE3AP-VE2DWA-LU7DW