[3830] ARRLDX CW N8IE SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 18 16:50:13 EST 2008

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N8IE
Operator(s): N8IE
Station: N8IE

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  250   149  Total Score = 111,750

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I had so many things going on this weekend that put contesting at the bottom of
the list, but I did manage to get a little key time in between my daughters
Winter Guard competition and other family obligations.

Conditions Friday night were great on 160 and 80 meters. On 160M I managed to
break through to two EU stations and pick up a total of three new DXCC
contacts. On 80M I worked a lot of EU and added a few new ones to on that
band.

40M was pretty good but I didn't really get to be around early enough to make
the most of it.

20M was the bread and butter bands for sure, but that has been the story the
last few contests anyway.

15M was okay but nothing spectacular. EU was not strong and SA never really got
going. Of course I was in and out so I might have missed a lot.

I never heard a station on 10M the times I was on. From the looks of things I
did not miss anything.

Overall I did good for a part time effort. Picked up one or two new DXCC on all
bands except 15M. Worked three ZL's on 40M, worked T32OU on 40 and 15, worked a
lot of KH7 and KL7 stations, and worked PJ4O, PJ2T, 6Y1LZ, J7DX on 5 bands. I
even managed to work VP6DX on 15 and 20.

This was a good opportunity to explore true gray line propagation. Signals just
prior to sunset or sunrise were weak, then for a few minutes the signals would
hit 20 over then fade away completely. This was the case for most of the PAC
RIM stations that I worked on 15 and 20 meters.

No K2's, no K3's, no SO2R with stacked this and that on 200' towers, just a
little old tri-bander, some wires, and good old fashioned fun! The way QRP is
supposed to be! ;-)

72
Dan, N8IE