[3830] CQ160 CW W1UE(@W1KM) Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 28 21:08:48 EST 2008

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W1UE
Operator(s): W1UE,W1FJ,KB1NYQ,K1UZK
Station: W1KM

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MA

Total:  QSOs = 1320  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 66  Total Score = 684,618

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I knew this was going to be a long weekend.  When W1FJ, Al, and I arrived at the
station about 2000Z Friday, we found both Orions in the SO2R positions not
working, so we had to disconnect radios and put another Orion into the
operating position.  Before the contest started, we were down to one radio and
part of our game plan was out the window.  We were also plagued with computer
software problems all weekend that we created by trying to put a network
together; the main computer started operating slower and slower, until it took
4-5 seconds from the time that one pressed F1 and the CQ actually began.  We
finally stopped for almost one hour (2300Z Sat) to fix the problems and had no
further trouble with it.

Great run to Europe the first night in the 0400-0700Z time.  Put over 210 Euros
in the log.  Second night, we could never get much of a run going; Europeans
were weaker with heavy QSB, and we were consistently getting beat out by the
Midwest US stations.

When the contest was over, I tried to drive home but was turned back by the
blizzard outside.  There was a good 6" of snow with visibility greatly reduced
by the blowing and drifting snow, and none of the roads had been plowed, so I
stayed a third night at the station and left for home Monday morning.

All in all, great fun.  Thanks to Greg W1KM for the use of his great station,
and to everyone for the constant repeats.

Dennis W1UE