[3830] CQ160 CW VE3JM(@VE3RM) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 28 21:14:57 EST 2008

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE3JM
Operator(s): VE3JM
Station: VE3RM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 1203  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 54  Total Score = 751,184

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This was my first serious effort in this contest and it was fun doing it.

The main goal was to make 1200 QSOs and 50 countries and I am pleased that I
just made it.

The plan was to install a reversible Beverage at Don's, using the termination
boxes and twin lead from Chris VE3FU. The transmission line was supposed to be
500' long, but it turned out that the total length was just 300-350'. There
were some issues with the termination box. Since there was no time to look at
it, in the end I just made a unidirectional Beverage by replacing the boxes
with a resistor and transformer. I guess the antenna worked fine, but I wish it
was longer. Often I didn't hear loud state side stations at all if I was using
Beverage.

The transmitting antenna used is a 60' high vertical with short T wires at the
top, coil at the base and just a few radials. Although the antenna is not bad,
I noticed that I was not too loud in the pile-ups and later that I was not
spotted too many times by Europeans. Hope I will find some free time this
summer to work on improving the antenna efficiency. I would extend the wire at
the top, get rid of the coil and put at least 30 radials. Currently steel wire
is used for radials.

Again, many thanks to Don for letting me operate from his station. It is always
fun to spend time there and hear interesting stories from Don from the times
when he was a transmission engineer at CBC.

Equipment: Mark-V Field, AL-1200, 60' high vertical and single 300' long
Beverage towards Europe.