[3830] IARU KB9OWD(@W9BCV) SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 15 23:44:23 EDT 2008

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: W9BCV

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: WI

  160:   10      2      6
   80:  141     42     11
   40:  127    136     19
   20:  295    294     49
   15:   16      6      6
   10:    0      0      0
-------------------------------------
Total:  589    480     91       0  Total Score = 203,567

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Mults are listed under zones however are the combined zones and HQ Mults for
each band.

Good to be back on the bands after a small group effort for field day and very
time limited in WPX CW.

Low power, from the "black hole" and no sunspots, my chances to compete
nationally are slim and this requires me to compete alot with myself setting
personal goals.  Last year, I fell asleep with auto CQ on about 5:10 A.M. with
an hour and 50 minutes to go.  I woke up with no ambition and called it quits
early then.  So, goal #1 was to make it the entire 24 hours.

Goal #2 was to complete 1,000 qso's.  While to alot this is done before the
half way point, running 100 watts to a TH7 at 50 feet with only a 1/4 wave for
80 meters up about 40 feet for 40, 80 and parts of 160, not to mention the
sunspots and propogation for this part of the country, this is much easier said
than done.

Goal #3 was in 2 parts, beat last years score and finish in the top 10 U.S.,
low power mixed.

Well, as for #1, I made it with relatively few problems.  Only struggle was
about 4 AM local with 3 hours to go.  I stood up, kept the auto CQ on on 80 CW
and ran a decent string, stretched and walked in place for about 15 minutes and
the yawns passed and made it through all 24 hours with relatively little
problems.

Goal #2 came at 4:06 A.M., during the mini fatigue stretch when qso # 1000
entered the log.  As for #3, I beat last years score by about 17,000 points.
Top 10 mixed LP will have to wait and see.

So, met all my goals to this point and am happy.  My luck with guest oping
somewhere to compete have all been met with prompt "no" replies up to this
point so I am either asking in the places or lack luck.  However, will continue
to try I guess!

Conditions here about the same as reflected by many, horrible to start and
seemed to get better as things went on.  Basically no noise overnight on 40 and
80 here and worked coast to coast most of the night on 80 with almost no repeats
needed, great conditions there!

I checked 10 here about every 15 minutes throughout the day into late evening
and worked everything I heard, nothing!  15 was in tough shape on this end with
only a few signals poking through and did work what I heard there.  20 produced
some good runs for LP from here and had 3 seperate hours over 100 qso's.

The single wire for 80 is rough to tune on 160 and can get about 50 watts tops,
so thanks to those that heard me, just popped up there for a few minutes to find
a few "loud mults".  Glad to pick up W1AW/9 and NU1AW/0 there.  RU1A for a new
mult as well as NU1AW/0 and 2 other HQ mults on 20 in the last 1/2 hour as it
was opening were a good way to end!

So, am happy with the results from here.  No frequency fights at all that I
remember.  Only kicked off my frequency once by a "big gun" who I will not name
that cq'ed basically zero beat on top of me on 80 Saturday evening, no "QRL" and
ignored my QSY and IN USE replies which ended a good 60 minutes or so there.  So
only once, can't complain.  Nice to run into alot of radio friends after several
months and the blood is again pumping for the upcoming fall season.  See many of
you in the NAQP CW and SSB in August!  If anyone needs an op or is open to a
guest op, please let me know.  Looking to do some traveling mixed with radio!

73

Ryan  KB9OWD