[3830] 7QP KS5A/M MobileCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 4 14:22:54 EDT 2008

                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: KS5A/M
Operator(s): KS5A
Station: KS5A

Class: MobileCW LP
QTH: AZ

--------------------
Total:  321     0  Mults = 0  Total Score = 1

Club: Central Arizona DX Association

Comments:

CW Mobile ops only, from 10 AZ counties.  Scoring the logs will take some time.

We decided to work the contest as a mobile a few of days prior.  Ah, the plans
were golden ... The changes/deviations were Not!

Ever wonder what it would take to enter the 7QP from each AZ county? - a lot of
dreams with only 18 hours of operating time!  There are many ways to run the
route, but it will take at least 1,100 miles if one stays on paved surfaces for
those 15 counties.  The XYL (KD7TOL) volunteered (was elected?) to be the
"daytime" driver which meant I would take over at night, thus, stopping to run
in a county. We ran while we could and headed for home at sunset.  (We knew we
would never run them all)!

The first delay came in the Tucson city limits (second county to run)..  A
semi-truck wiped out the right side guard rail, ricocheted, and crashed through
the center concrete barriers and closed all lanes of I-10.  For two and a half
hours +, we visited with a lot of nice people out on the interstate.  (No 7QP
ops with high power line QRN).  I answered way too many questions about that
"funny looking" antenna - but did some great PR work, passing out eyeball QSL's
and talking Ham Radio.  Add extra time behind trucks on old US-666 in the
mountains (no prorogation), and now, we are really behind schedule - but still
having fun.

The bands? - OK for us under current conditions.  20/40 were the go-to freqs.
A little life on 15 was a nice surprise.  Listened/called on 10 a few times ...
nada.  80 was sounded great at night.  Too bad I was driving for the last 3
hours with so little time for contacts.

Operating time was split - about a quarter for SP and the rest, trying to
squeeze in a hole to run among the several contests.  Above and below the
masses were the best spots.  If the bands are open, it's down right tough for a
mobile, competing for a spot among the fixed stations ... Hi!  Our many thanks
for all those that followed us around and dug us out for a contact.  We hope we
added a few multipliers for you.

"Atta Boys/Girls" to the all organizers as well as the participants.  Great
times and no better way to spend a Saturday.

IC-706MKII @ 100w
F-350 diesel
7' - 1" mast mounted on tool box
7 Hustlers mounted horizontally approx 12' above ground
Street Atlas + GPS with county overlays