[3830] 7QP K4XU MobileCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue May 6 13:11:33 EDT 2008

                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: K4XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: K4XU

Class: MobileCW LP
QTH: ID/OR

--------------------
Total:  422     0  Mults = 45  Total Score = 56,970

Club: CODXC

Comments:

Next year we will budget for improved conditions.

The rig is a TS-50 to a Hustler pitchfork mag mounted on the trunk lid with
resonators for 15/20/40. A Dell laptop with a battery pack modified to accept
12VDC does the logging but does not talk to the radio.

We had one visit from Murphy. Somewhere in the wilds of Grant County Oregon,
the computer quit. It runs from a 2AH SLA diode or'd from the car's cigarette
lighter. The SLA was dead and so was the DC outlet. We were able to split two
of the four conductors from the car's battery feeding the rig and use them to
power the computer. Thank you Mr PowerPole! Later I discovered a blown 25A fuse
that feeds the lighter plugs. The GPS was plugged into the other lighter outlet.
Apparently its cord has a frayed line at the plug and shorted blowing the fuse.
However it continued along on its internal batteries and thus not a suspect.

We stop before 8PM because driving at night through the back roads of Oregon is
dicey. Deer, elk, antelope, and coyotes notwithstanding.

Thanks to all we worked and to my intrepid driver, Charlie KI6Y, who kept it
between the lines for 655 miles in 13 hours and is the best company anyone
could keep.

73,
Dick