[3830] SS CW NN7SS(K6UFO) SO Unlimited QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 4 20:40:29 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: SO Unlimited QRP
QTH: WWA

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

I ran the entire contest QRP, but when I reached 79 multipliers,
the temptation to find the VY1 for a clean sweep was too
strong - so I checked packet to look for him and became
"Unlimited." There were indeed spots for VY1, and guided by the
spots and diligent tuning, I found and heard him three times,
but my QRP signal could never get through the unruly pile before
he'd QSY again. Had I stayed Single-Op QRP, I would be solidly in
the Top Five QRP. Oh well, live and learn about the choices we
make in the heat of the contest. I'm still pleased with how much
I could work QRP, even hold a frequency and run. I started on 15m
for two hours, and spent another three hours there on Sunday,
totalling as much time as I spent in the mosh pit of 20m. 40m
was reasonable, but 80m wasn't very good until Midnight Saturday.
All the equipment and antennas held together - just the operator
got off course. I lost two hours searching for the VY1, and lost an
extra hour taking food breaks, so better time management is needed.
Thanks for the contacts!

NN7SS (op K6UFO)

80-meter half-sloper
40m: Cushcraft 40-2CD yagi at 50ft
20m: 3-el SteppIR at 50ft
15M: C3 Tribander at 55ft
Two Yaesu FT-1000MPs turned down to 5 watts
Writelog software and W5XD Multi-keyer