[3830] CQWW SSB NX5M M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 27 00:43:24 EDT 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, N5XJ, KU5B
Station: NX5M

Class: M/M HP
QTH: TX

  160:   36    11       26
   80:  113    16       59
   40:  286    26       88
   20:  619    33      119
   15:  489    34       93
   10:   94    10       16

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This was just a part-time non-serious effort to test out new computer systems,
interfaces, wintest software and various other recently added hardware.  This
was certainly a well-spent 24 hours.
This was an 85% search and pounce approach.  Only entered M/M because there are
no limitations and we could move around the bands freely and I felt this was the
best way to test out all the latest upgrades.
Only 3 operators for this.  Two the first few hours of the first night.
We stopped operating the first night at 0530z and did not resume until 1500z so
we got a good nights sleep.  We were back down to 2 operators by 0400z Sunday
but the two remaining ops continued to operate off and on until 0730z.  After
another good nights sleep we resumed at 1515z Sunday and went qrt at 1730z to
head into town to a local pizza joint.  We decided to get back on the air for
the last 4 or so hours and operate as if we were serious.
Had a few stations tell me on Sunday afternoon that I was a dupe but when I
looked back in the log and these stations claimed to have had a qso with
me/us....it could not have been because in two of the cases we were not even
operating at that time on that band or we simply were not operating at all.  I
belive that there may be too many that are putting calls in from SCP and not
paying attention to the what the callsign really is.  Whatever the case may be,
just work them anyway because it will do no harm and in circumstances such as
these....if YOU are not in my log then you are not in my log and eventhough you
claimed to have worked me....you still are not in my log.
Was tempted to hang in there the whole second night as the low bands seemed to
improve after a few hours of "yucky" conditions.  I just wanted to work the
double-mults KL7 and JA on 80 but I was ready to quit.  Suddenly I found and
worked both and after a couple of minutes of consideration as to whether to
stay and operate or go to bed I just said "lets shut down and go get some
sleep".
Part of the time in the shack was spent building some soundcard interfaces
instead of operating.  And we were having an issue with the 20m amp that had
been happening in the past so there was no relation to the new setup.  That
took some time to figure out and get fixed but once that station went back on
the air Saturday around 2200z there was never another problem.
I am quite satisfied with the results of the 4 weeks of work I put into doing
all of these station upgrades.  I was not really planning to do this so
quickly.  It was intended to have been done a little at a time and do the
complete launch early next year.  KU5B commented that it was not my style to
take my time doing something like this.  I guess he knows me better than I know
myself.  I am just glad it is over now and it works.  Huge weight off of my
shoulders.
Now I can start working on my 80m beams and finish some other yagis that I
intend to add over the next month or so.